12 Simple Ways To Change The Vibe Of Your Space From Chaos To Sanctuary
There are probably three thousand and one small things in your space right now, and that’s a moderate estimation. These belongings taken singularly seem harmless, of course. What notable stress can the label and lid of a spice jar possible induce? None, perhaps, on its own. But when combined with a dozen or more other spice jars, and those combined with seventy hardback books, and those with six boxes of cereal, with two types of shampoo, with–the average household inventory–the sight becomes taxing on our senses. The labels overstimulate. The colors and shapes and patterns and fonts exist in utter discordance. Even an edited home begins to feel cluttery. What’s a Simplifier to do then??
Start with the low-hanging fruit, my plums.
Image credit: Style Me Pretty
3. Ditch all those random pens taken from the hotels you’ve stayed at and opt to fill that pencil cup with a set of matching writing utensils.
4. Arrange your books by color. It’s a powerful visual technique that can transform an overstimulating sight into an incredibly pleasing one.
5. (Finally) invest in a set of matching towels. Ditch the old, random assortment you had going on. Fold your new towels beautifully. Stare lovingly at the stack.
6. If your hodge podge collection of mugs is making you more irritable than delighted, (finally) treat yourself to a set of matching mugs. Line the handles up inside the cupboard. Admire.
8. Arrange your clothing by color. Ditto the reason cited in #4.
9. Start purchasing the same brand of things on purpose, to ensure there’s more uniformity coming in the door from the get-go.
10. Hang curtains to conceal open storage areas you wish weren’t as open as they are.
11. Maintain some empty shelves. Because negative space is necessary and because you can practice self restraint against the urge to fill, fill, fill to capacity every last inch at your disposal.
12. Uniform hangers for the love. The sole topic on which I truly, literally, not literally but, you know, literally cannot even.
I could really go on here, and none of these is a novel proposition around here. But hey, that might mean that if you’re a regular reader and a real bonafide Simplifier you get the satisfaction of saying “ALREADY DO ALL THAT, WAHOO.”
Live Simply by healthy ego-boosting.
Sleep-blogging by Annie.
Other Posts You May Love
Search The Blog
Simplify Your World
Sign up for the email list to get inspiration and simplified tips sent right to your inbox.