Tips for Hosting Houseguests
Tis the season, as they say, when house guests abound. That may not be how they’d finish that sentence, but it is nonetheless true. With that in mind, I thought it only appropriate for us to review some houseguest guidelines.
– Do have a clearly appointed room/ area in which you guest will lodge. That room should be clean, free from clutter, bad smells, the kitty litter box, and whatnot.
– Do make sure you’re well stocked on the essentials your guest might require such as toothbrush, toothpaste, cleansing potions for body and hair. Also: cotton pads, Q-tips, tissue. Might as well throw a loofah in there cause really, who doesn’t enjoy a loofah?
If you’re really hoping to WOW your houseguests (a term I’ve just learned is an official one in the hospitality industry), you’ll be Martha-enough to assemble those essentials into a little houseguest welcome pack. Relish in the presentation. Go nuts.
– Do have the linen and towel situation on lock before guests ever step foot into your humble abode. Guest beds should be made up with clean sheets (with optional turn-down service available, still don’t know what that means), and be sure to provide extra blankets and pillows because beds are like coffee and you never really know how people take them.
– Do deliver additional linens and towels to your guest upon arrival, or brief them on where they might find your supply.
– Do provide your guests with a place to put their dirty laundry. Because laundry.
– Do leave space in a closet for your guests to hang their things.
– Do attempt to discover foods and drinks your houseguests are partial to, and have these items on hand whilst they are in your stead.
– Do give your guests a tour of the facilities available to them at casa de you, “Here is the pantry, we encourage late night snacking,” “Here is the laundry room in case you pee the bed and need to wash the sheets, which some guests prior to you have been known to do,” “Here is our bedroom should you have bad dreams in the middle of the night and need someone to cuddle you,” and such.
– Do alert your guests as to any trends which are prevalent at your residence, and which they are likely to encounter upon staying with you (i.e. the dog always barks when the mailman comes, little jamie is going through a major tantrum phase, everyone in the family walks around the house in their underwear).
– Do impress upon your houseguests that they should feel comfortable in your dwelling, that your food is their food (except for the Luna Bars which are strictly off limits. Oh, and those Honeycrisp apples… you should ask about those before you go diving right in), your books are their books, your seltzer is their seltzer.
Do add in any of your own tried and true houseguest tips, it behoves you.Image credits: Sunset, Real Simple, Martha Stewart, Martha Stewart, One Kings Lane, House and Home, House and Home, A Country Farmhouse, unknown
Other Posts You May Love
Search The Blog
Simplify Your World
Sign up for the email list to get inspiration and simplified tips sent right to your inbox.